Saturday, 2 April 2011

Hundreds of food bins wrongly delivered to Cheltenham homes

CHELTENHAM'S new rubbish collection scheme is in trouble before it has even started, according to an opposition politician.

Borough council Conservative leader Duncan Smith (C, Charlton Kings) made the claim after a delivery blunder saw hundreds of homes wrongly delivered a second food waste bin.Last night waste bosses moved to reassure people they were in control and collections would start on Monday.

Mr Smith said: "I read about how well the system was going but that simply isn't the case. "It is clearly not going well and there are serious concerns about what it going on with the waste collections." His Leckhampton Road home was one of hundreds given an extra green food bin last week.

The original delivery, three weeks ago, of an indoor caddie and outdoor food bin was labelled as a Thursday collection. But a second set turned up later with instructions for a Friday round and when Mr Smith phoned the council's depot to report the mistake he was told the authority would not come to reclaim the bins.

Cheltenham Borough Council admitted the mistake but said everything was going to plan.

My comment: If their plan was to waste taxpayer's money they may be right about everything going to plan. 

Read the full story from the source  This is Gloucestershire

No comments:

Post a Comment