Monday, 4 April 2011

East Sussex County Council to be sentenced over poisoning

An County Council is due to be sentenced in a case relating to the death of a 60-year-old Down syndrome sufferer who accidentally swallowed dishwasher fluid, thinking it was orange squash.

Colin Woods' digestive organs were gradually eroded by the sodium hydroxide substance, which left him unable to eat.

He had lost almost half his body weight by the time he died on April 7, 2006, 16 months after swallowing the fluid while on an outing with friends from the St Nicholas Centre in Lewes, East Sussex, on December 7, 2004.

A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found no hazardous substance controls were in place at the centre and no data sheet was maintained for the detergent.

In January, the County Council pleaded guilty to a charge of failing to store a hazardous substance in such a way as to prevent serious risk at Brighton Magistrates' Court.

My comment: Bet they get away with a nominal smack on the wrist. 

Read the full story from the source The Sydney Morning Herald

UPDATE: Dishwasher fluid death council fined £50,000

Read the full story from the source BBC News

My comment: £50K, no problem for a council when the taxpayers picks up the bill. Someone should have been sacked over this death, not just disciplined. 

No comments:

Post a Comment