Sunday, 20 February 2011

ALLOWANCES for Wales’ highest-paid councillors put them in with the top 10% of earners in the country.

Top-paid councillors in 2009/10, the most recent figures available, were Russell Roberts, leader of Rhondda Cynon Taf Council, who received £55,910.04 and Cardiff Council leader Rodney Berman on £52,581.

However at the other end of the scale, Neath Port Talbot councillor Anthony Taylor has not taken any payment since he was elected in 1987, after making a promise to voters.

He said: “People ask me do I regret it, from the bottom of my heart, never. I want to be able to hold my head up high.

“A public representative needs to be at front saying times are hard, we recognise that and are prepared to make sacrifices.”

My comment: At least one honourable councillor in Wales! 

Read the full story from the source Wales On-Line

No comments:

Post a Comment